Did you know that right here in Hernando County….
- Alcohol is the most commonly used drug among Hernando students.
- In 2010 in Hernando County, past 30-day use of alcohol was reported by 15.8% of middle school students and 38.1% of high school students.
- In 2010 in Hernando County, 6.4% of middle school students and 21.5% of high school students reported binge drinking.
- In Hernando County in 2010, the most common location reported by youth as their “drinking location” was in the home or at a friend’s home.
- 4.9% of Hernando County adults reported being “Heavy Drinkers” in 2010.
- In 2010 in Hernando County, there were 110 alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes, 76 alcohol-related motor vehicle injuries and 7 alcohol-related motor vehicle fatalities.
- There were 329 DUI arrests in 2011 in Hernando County.
- Underage drinking cost Hernando County 19.8 million dollars in advese affects in 2007.
- In Florida, smoking kills more people than alcohol, AIDS, car crashes, illegal drugs, murders, and suicides combined.
- Each year in Florida 26,300 kids under 18 become new daily smokers
- 28.8 million packs of cigarettes are bought or smoked by kids each year in Florida
- Nearly one out of every five adults in Florida smokes
- Young adults (18 to 24) smoke at higher levels than any other age group
- 369,000 kids now under 18 and alive in Florida who will ultimately die prematurely from smoking
- Higher rates of Hernando County youth in 2010 reported recent cigarette use then Florida Statewide Averages, 11.3% versus 8.3% respectively.
- In 2010, 17.2% of Hernando County middle school students and 17.6% of high school students reported that smoking was allowed in the home.